The Moderate Training Day plate should be your baseline from where you adjust your plate up (hard/competition) or down (easy). Since your moderate training/competition days require less energy compared to when you’re conditioning, you can adjust your plate to look like this:
- One-fourth of the plate should contain a lean protein source; this will be about three ounces of animal protein (about the size of a deck of cards).
- Just over ¼ of the plate should contain a grain source.
- Just under ½ of the plate should contain vegetables; also include a piece or small bowl of fruit with your meal.
- One serving of low-fat dairy products (milk, cheese and yogurt).
- While a source of fat may be incorporated into the plate already (in those protein options that contain fat), any added fat such as salad dressings should be in the amount of about one tablespoon per meal.
- Don’t forget to grab those fluids!
Balanced Meal Moderate Training Day:
What You’ll Need:
-1/2 cup cooked brown rice
-3 oz. diced chicken breast
-1 tbsp. sour cream
¾ cup black beans
8 oz. low-fat white milk